Healthy Home | Nut Butter Cinnamon Cookies [ full of the good stuff, free of the bad stuff ]

The more I experiment with plant based recipes, the more I've come to realize how ridiculously easy it is to replace dairy. Last night I made a strawberry banana "milkshake" for dessert: fresh strawberries, frozen bananas, soy milk, vanilla extract, blended to perfection. It was creamy and delightful and not a scoop of ice cream in sight.

Today was another one of those moments. I am attending a "dessert and wine" birthday party for a friend this evening and decided to make some healthy cookies to bring with me. A lot of the vegan recipes I searched for included oil and flour, and I was just not in the mood to make a cookie cookie. I wanted to make an easy, healthy cookie with few ingredients.

I stumbled across this recipe from the Unrefined Kitchen and it mostly fit the bill. I modified it to make it dairy-free and changed the flavour a bit with some cinnamon. Oh my goodness gracious, they are DIVINE. I was hoping to just "test" half a cookie, and ended up eating four. Oopsies, there goes my lunch. I was completely surprised with how much these look and feel and taste like a traditional cookie, but have no oil, no flour, no grain, no refined sugars, and no dairy. And almost better than that, they were super easy to make with minimal clean up.





Nut Butter Cinnamon Cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup agave nectar, honey or maple syrup
1 Ener-g Egg Replacer "Egg" (could try a flax or chia egg but I'm not sure of the results)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
3. Mix all ingredients but the coconut until well mixed.
4. Add coconut (and optional, add chocolate chips, dried fruit, or nuts)
4. Roll dough into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball, space on cookie sheet and bake for 13 minutes until lightly browned.

Makes about 20 cookies.


Thanks to the Unrefined Kitchen for the inspiration! These are DEFINITELY going in my recipe box and will now be my go-to cookie recipe. They even passed my "meat and potatoes" husband test!

If you have a spare 30 minutes this week, give this recipe a try! You will be happy you did :)






Comments

  1. Mmmm...will definitely try these. Great as a snack for my girls too, almost like little granola bars in cookie shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. made these! didn't look anything like the picture but still tasted great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts